Monday, May 16, 2011

Taking pictures is a lot harder than I thought it would be

I've had my camera (a Canon 60d and good 125 and 50mm lenses) for a week or two now, and have literally taken hundreds of pictures. Only a few have turned out worth anything. The settings are a bit daunting to a guy who only had a cruddy "fake" dslr in the past (A Fuji Finepix 5000)....

Here are a few that managed to turn out OK. The Dalai Lama one was taken from nosebleed seats in the auditorium, so I feel that they are pretty good given the lighting conditions and the distance. Oh what I wouldn't give for a nice telephoto zoom lens and a macro lens!

Do any of you know of a GOOD website with tutorials I can study until I start taking photography courses at school?





20 comments:

  1. Nice pics and a very nics Tortoise. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats why great photographers are in such high demand! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pictures turned out alright for what they are. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo, man, pics are very good.
    Practical advice: to make a good photographer - maybe read some basic stuff, but more than that - make as many photos as possible!! You think that professional photographers make masterpieces out of every second pic? no, they do shitloads of them, and selecting the best. That's the challenge. Well, and of course blend in creativity and theoretical knowledge. And someday someone says: "Shit! This guy is awesome! Call him and tell we want him to work for us!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 years ago i tried doin photography, couldnt improve and dropped it when my camera was stolen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not bad. Practice makes perfect in almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah you are so right. That's the same way I thought when I started photographing. Anyway, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the second picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've done well! I like the blog, im definately following :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the turtle picture! Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I used to watch some "photographing for dummies" clips in youtube and so on but I have to stay that everyone has it's own style. Do whatever you like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome turtle right there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are now listening to 88.3 fm on the dial. Soooo weeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you said it was hard but this is a very nice job.

    ReplyDelete