Thursday, March 24, 2011

Little Rock police are now being armed with AR-15s - Arkansas Gazette

I haven't spent any time in Little Rock (Arkansas), so I was a little shocked to learn that the crime rate, especially gun related crimes, is so high that the police officers are now being trained in the use of automatic carbine rifles. An article in the Arkansas Gazette showed the owner of a gun store, Steve Cruse, holding an M-4 style .223-caliber carbine rifle. Now, I will not pretend to know quite exactly what that means, but the gun looks like serious business. According to the article, currently only SWAT members are allowed to carry rifles, which is how it was where I was living in Wisconsin. I must admit that this information is making me think that I probably do not want to plan a vacation to little rock any time soon!

Now here is something from the article that really caught my eye, "Unlike other area departments, the officers would have to buy their own rifles for $900 a piece." (Arkansas Gazette)

Is this how these things normally occur? I had no idea. I don't know how much a police officer makes salary-wise, but that seems like a big chunk of change.

But if you keep reading, the next few paragraphs make it obvious that these officers will happily shell out the $800!

"Hastings said Little Rock officers are constantly at a disadvantage without such weapons. He said his men often are out-manned and out-gunned. 'We're facing criminals carrying AK-47s and other assault-type weapons. The new policy can put us on even turf with the bad guys.'"

Thugs will think twice if a dozen police officers are pointing automatic assault weapons at them!

19 comments:

  1. Seriously cool image! It's my new background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic with the kid is one of my favourite photos ever, saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool looks like a calleidoscope of the universe or something like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kid lost sight with that... xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I just changed my background...hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super jelly of that kids hat/goggles. Hot damn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah! nice! It's my current one too now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, that kid is killer. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those glasses are fantastic! Followed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very high quality, I like it!

    +1 follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a pretty awesome background you got there

    ReplyDelete
  12. that boy can see...EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete